It's Monday again folks! Here's a nice & easy Monday recipe I love to prep on Sunday night...so I can come home on Monday and just throw this in the oven. Letting it sit in the fridge overnight really lets the flavors meld and the moistness soak in to the meat. YUMMMMM!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours + standing
MAKES: 6 servings
· 2 eggs
· 2/3 cup milk
· 3 slices bread, torn
· 1/2 cup chopped onion
· 1/2 cup grated carrot
· 1 cup (4 ounces) part-skim mozzarella cheese
· 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
· 1 teaspoon dried or fresh basil, thyme or sage, optional
· 1 teaspoon garlic powder
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 1/4 teaspoon pepper
· 1-1/2 pounds ground beef (or my fav is ½ ground beef & half ground pork) X
Enhance the Flavor
With Johnsonville Italian Sausage. Save Now >
· 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
· 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
· 1/2 cup tomato sauce or diced tomatoes in sauce if you like chunky!
1. In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add milk and bread; let stand until liquid is absorbed. Stir in the onion, carrot, cheese and seasonings. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
2. Shape into a 8in. x 4in. 2 1/2in. loaf in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes.
3. Combine the topping ingredients; spoon half of the mixture over meat loaf. Bake 30 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°, occasionally spooning remaining topping over loaf. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serve with garlic mashed and a veggie or salad and dinner is done! Kids LOVE this too.