Make your pot of marinara a few days in advance
or you can use a GOOD store bought brand - if you must! If you don't have a recipe for marinara you love, send me an e-mail....I just might share mine...Maybe!
1 – 2 Large Eggplants
1 Tbs. Parsley
1/4 tsp. each Sea Salt & Fresh black pepper (once for eggs, once for breadcrumbs, once for ricotta mixture).
1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder - (once for eggs, once for breadcrumbs).
1-2 Cups Italian Bread crumbs
Chiffonade (rolling leaves together & cutting into strips) of 3 large basil leaves or 1 Tbs. dried basil
2-3 Cups Marinara Sauce
½ Cup grated parmesan cheese
2 Cups shredded Mozzarella
2 Cups Ricotta Cheese....mixed with fresh parsley, salt, pepper & garlic powder to taste
Oil for frying (1 Cup to start).
1. In a Medium mixing bowl, combine eggs, parsley, salt & pepper, garlic powder. Mix well. In another bowl, combine, breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, salt & pepper. Third small bowl, combine ricotta, salt, pepper, garlic powder. Peel & Slice the eggplant in approx 1/8” rounds. Preheat a frying pan & add oil. Dip in egg mixture then in breadcrumb mixture…place in Fry pan, keep doing this until your fry pan is filled.
2. Turn each piece after about 2 minutes on Medium Heat….and PRESS down on the eggplant with spatula….to let some moisture out.
3. Take out & place on Serving platter to cool….continue with this process until all eggplant is cooked.
4. Layer Eggplant in Baking Dish…Eggplant, Ricotta Mixture, then marinara….then another layer, Eggplant, Ricotta mixture, marinara!
5. Add Mozzarella to top.
6. Cover with foil & Bake for approx. 20 minutes.
7. Remove foil.....and let bake just until cheese melts & lightly browns & is heated through!
8. Cut & Serve...Adding a bit of marinara & garnishing with basil for a pretty presentation!
9. Serve with side salad or pasta! You may also cook this & freeze for later!