Let's Make Dinner Together - Meal #3 - Asian Black Pepper Salmon with Black Rice & Steamed Asian Veggies
Even though I live in a very Italian household, we enjoy almost all ethnic dishes. This one is easy and only requires a few basic Asian ingredients....like soy sauce (low sodium is the better choice), teriyaki sauce, orange glaze & bottled ginger. You can find these in your local supermarket in the Asian aisle. They come in handy for other things....like marinating chicken or for making other quick stir fry dinners. You can certainly make this dish with white or brown rice - but black rice is PACKED with great anti-oxidants plus vitamin E and Fiber! Plus, it looks pretty.
So here we go: Take out 2 sauce pans, & 1 medium fry pan.
2 Pieces of Salmon - Skin on - at room temp for 10 minutes
3 Cups Stir Fry Veggie Blend
1 Cup Black Rice
1/2 Cup water for veggies
2 Cups Low Sodium (or regular) Chicken Stock - or water for rice
2 Tbs. Low Sodium (or regular) Soy Sauce - plus a bit extra for dressing your dish
2 Tbs. Orange Glaze
2 Tbs. Teriyaki
2 Heaping Tbs. Ginger with 1 tbs. of it's liquid
Crushed Black Pepper
Sea Salt, regular salt, lemon or lime wedges (Optional)
Non-Stick Cooking Spray or 1/2 Tbs. Canola Oil or Wok Oil
1. Rinse your rice in cold water for a minute or so...then add to a small sauce pan with 2 cups chicken stock (or water plus approx. 1/2 tsp. salt). Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer or med/low. Cover, set timer & cook rice for approximately 30 minutes...or until tender. Add the liquid from the ginger now.
2. While your rice is cooking, dress & marinate your salmon (in the container it came in - usually a Styrofoam tray) with the orange glaze, teriyaki & ginger. Let sit in the juices for about 3 minutes, flip over & do the same for the other side. This little bath will let it soak up some of the flavors prior to cooking. Remember to check on your rice & stir every 5-6 minutes or so to prevent sticking!
3. Spray your fry pan with non-stick spray or use 1/2 tbs. oil. Turn pan on medium......place salmon in pan, skin side up and cook for about 4 minutes. The ginger cooks on top & around the salmon for a really nice flavor. (Start water for your veggies - below). Using tongs or a spatula, flip over & cook for another 4 minutes or until it feels firm, skin is crispy and salmon has turned a lighter pink....once cooked - leave on low to keep warm.
4. Add 1/2 cup water to your 2nd sauce pan, bring to boil & add your veggies. Reduce heat to medium & cook for approximately 3-4 minutes or until tender. This small amount of water will let the veggies steam to doneness. (You may choose to stir fry your veggies, steam in the microwave or use a different cooking method). I chose to show you a simple way to get the job done.
5. Your rice should be done now....if not - make sure everything else is on low to keep warm. Stir veggies to make sure they're nice & hot...same for rice!
6. Plate your dish by spreading out a nice helping of black rice to each plate....top with a piece of salmon (skin removed or left on-it's up to you) & add veggies on the side.
7. Swirl a little soy over the rice, & veggies for taste. If you like, try squeezing lemon or lime over your salmon for extra flavor.
8. Enjoy and remember.....once you taste your dish - if it needs more of something, add it! Play around with this recipe next time. My hubby makes a secret sauce for salmon - when I'm not cooking it Asian Style. If you stay tuned...I might just let out our little secret.............Oh heck I'll tell you now! 2 tbs. mayo, 2 tbs. Green Goddess Dressing, 1 dash Worcestershire sauce, 1 tbs. ketchup, 1/2 tsp. capers, 1 tsp lemon juice....stir & top your salmon with this another time! You'll LOVE it.
Your kitchen is yours...there is no right or wrong!