A TASTE OF ITALY....Right in your Kitchen!
· 1 Cup Milk
· 1 Cup Sugar
· ¾ Cup Lemon Juice – Fresh is preferred
· 3 Tbs. Grated Lemon Peel + 1 Tbs Zest
· 5 Egg Yolks beaten lightly
· 2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
1. In a small heavy saucepan, heat milk to 170° on your kitchen thermometer. (I bought a good one for less than $10 at GFS). A good cook should never be without one. Stir in sugar until dissolved. Now you’ll whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Now I add my grated lemon peel (reserving zest for topping). Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a spoon.
2. Remove from the heat; strain. Stir in lemon juice. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in cream. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
3. Fill cylinder of your ice cream machine or small ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 1-1/2 quarts. You can do this in an airtight container…Freeze for an hour, stir until creamy then freeze again. Consistency may not be exactly like gelato…..but still tastes just as good! ENJOY & ALWAYS……….HAVE FUN IN YOUR KITCHEN!
2/3 cup equals 361 calories, 26 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 213 mg cholesterol, 40 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.